Wood Thrush at Crystal Spring, SE Inyo Goodies
Observers: Chris and Rosie Howard, Barb Schuck
Remote Name: 188.8.131.52
Time: 11:03 AM -0400
We spent Friday night (29 Sept) at Crystal Spring (~15 miles east of China Ranch in extreme SE Inyo) and
spent Saturday (30 Sept) birding our way back to the Owens Valley. Our main target was the Wood Thrush at Crystal Spring, first found 19 August. Species of note are listed below.
Crystal Spring, a trashed mining area, is not the most aesthetic place, but the birds don't seem to mind the trickle of water that runs a few hundred yards, supporting some big cottonwoods, elm and other trees. 6:25AM-8:15AM
- WOOD THRUSH 1 (on the grassy 'meadow' near the cistern, good views then it flushed up
into the cottonwood not to be seen again)
- RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER 5
- TOWNSEND'S SOLITARE 5
- RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET 1, our first of fall.
- WESTERN WOOD PEE-WEE 2
- SOOTY FOX SPARROW 1
China Ranch 9:00AM - 11AM
- SUMMER TANAGER 1 male seen in the cottonwood below the gift shop, all bright orange-red, long yellow bill.
Shoshone Museum, quick stop
- GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW 1, our first of fall
Furnace Creek Inn, 1:00PM - 2:30PM, the best concentration of sparrows, etc of the day.
- WINTER WREN 1, western race, very cooperative, skulking mouse-like in the brush-pile below the rock wall, just north of the ditch. Chocolate brown overall,
paler and warmer in throat, buffy short supercilium, very short cocked tail.
- NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH 1, along the ditch, actively feeding on worms from the base of the oleanders and bobbing up and down the unlined ditch. Fine streaks into throat, buffy underparts, quickly tapering eyeline behind eye. Constantly 'chinking'.
- GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW 1, our second of the day .
- VESPER SPARROW 1
Furnace Creek Ranch, 3PM-5PM
- VERMILION FLYCATCHER 1, immature female, short tail, fine streaks on otherwise white breast, yellow tinge in belly.
- SOOTY FOX SPARROW 1, our second of the day.
Crystal Spring habitat shot; 'meadow' the Wood Thrush frequented in shadow.
Close-up of the 'meadow'; cistern on left.